Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Earnings Fail To Impress

Earnings are having a hard time impressing this market. It seems that traders are dismissing the euphoria that has dominated the market for the past six weeks. Was this really a surprise? Were we really expecting that after the past 18 months of dismal economic news people were not going to take profits? I wasn't. I missed a lot of this rally as I expected it to end faster than it did. The futures are down this morning and I am not calling for us to retest the lows of the year, but I do expect the S & P to go test 790.

We are in the area where you can start making your buy list and wait until the market affords you an opportunity to get in. Personally, I think a great way to play the China recovery story is thorough FCX. I think it may fall with the market for the next few sessions and give us a strong buying opportunity.

I am still negative on many healthcare stocks, even though Boston Scientific reported stronger than expected earnings this morning. They are one of the best in the space and I would not advocate selling them short, but there are others such as EMS that I like as short candidates.

We will have a hard time with clarity until we get the final results of the bank stress tests. Other than the news factor, I could care less how these banks do with these tests. I would prefer to stay away from the space and just see what kind of news value these test results bring.

WE HAVE AN INTERVIEW WITH MARC FABER THIS WEEK.

STAY TUNED
blog comments powered by Disqus